Become a Member
You can apply to be a Council member if you live in Maryland and are:
- An adult with a developmental disability,
- A parent or guardian of a child with a developmental disability,
- A family member of an adult with a developmental disability who cannot advocate for themselves, or
- A person who works for a community organization that serves people with developmental disabilities.
To be a Council member you must:
- Believe that people with and without disabilities should live, learn, work, and play together.
- Want to help us create change that makes it possible for people with developmental disabilities to live the lives they want with the support they need.
- Support the Council’s goals and activities.
The Council meets 4 times a year in Columbia. Council members also serve on at least one committee or work team that meets 2-4 times each year. We make sure members have the support they need to participate in our work. We provide the following to Council members who are people with developmental disabilities or family members if they need it:
- Transportation to meetings
- Personal assistance services during meetings
- Child care
- Support to review and understand materials before and during meetings
- Small stipends for attending meetings
Please read the Council Member Position Description to learn about member responsibilities.
Contact the Council if you have questions:
How Do I Apply?
You can complete the application, print, and mail it to the Council. Or you can complete the application online by clicking the button below.