With DD Days at the Legislature taking place virtually in 2021, your best way to make an impact is online. The Maryland Developmental Disabilities Coalition is here to help you share your story online and make an impact! We have put together some resources for you to use during the week.
Social Media Toolkit
Effective advocacy takes all of us! We have developed this social media toolkit that we hope you will all use during the week of February 8-12, 2021. We can make a huge impact online through your advocacy and use of certain tools, branded images, hashtags, and by tagging your General Assembly representatives. We invite you to share your stories on social media and energize others during DD Days 2021!
DD Days Virtual Background
Show your support for Marylanders with IDD by using the DD Days virtual background during meetings with legislators! Follow the steps below to access the virtual background:
- Click the “Download the Virtual Background” button below.
- Right click the image and click “Save image as”
- Choose where to save the file on your computer.
- In a Zoom meeting, click the dropdown menu next to “Stop Video”
- In the pop-up, select the + button on the right side to add a picture.
- Find the file location of the background picture that you saved on your computer.
- Make sure you have that background image highlighted on the menu then close the menu!
The picture may be reversed on your screen, but it will look normal to everyone else!
Tips on Speaking with Legislators
Communicating with your representatives in the Maryland State Senate and House of Delegates is a vital way to advocate for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Download our tips below to be more effective in your advocacy through emails, calls, and meetings with legislators.
Using the Maryland General Assembly Website
The Maryland General Assembly website has a variety of resources available for you to keep on top of all aspects of the legislative process. You can use it to find and track bills, attend hearings, contact legislators, sign up to testify at hearings, and more. The Arc Maryland has compiled some instructions on navigating some of the more commonly used parts of the site that you can use during the 2021 Legislative Session.