The Maryland Developmental Disabilities Council’s mission is to advance the inclusion of people with developmental disabilities in all facets of community life by eliminating barriers, creating opportunities, empowering people, and promoting innovation.
What is the Conference Participation Fund?
Each year, the Council sets aside funds to assist a small number of individuals with developmental disabilities and family members of individuals with developmental disabilities with the cost of attending out-of-state conferences.
A request for funds will only be considered if: 1) It is consistent with the Council’s mission; AND 2) includes a specific plan on how information learned will be shared to benefit others in Maryland.
Priority will be given to individuals who have not received Council funding in the past.
NOTE: The Council also supports the attendance of people with developmental disabilities and family members at conferences, workshops and other educational/training events in Maryland through our Education & Training Event Sponsorships.
What can Conference Participation funds be used for?
Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Conference registration
- Hotel accommodations
- Personal Assistance Services
- Child care
- Other costs directly related to attending the conference
The Council has very limited funds to support conference attendance. In order for these funds to support as many people as possible, attempts should be made to locate other sources of funding, rather than approaching the Council for the full cost.
What can the funds NOT be used for?
- The Council will not support conference attendance that only benefits one individual or family.
- The Council will not fund attendance at conferences or workshops that are intended to design treatment or program plans for specific individuals.>
Who may apply?
Individuals with developmental disabilities and family members of people with developmental disabilities who live in Maryland.
How much funding can be requested?
The amount requested may note exceed $1000.
When can a request for funds be made?
Requests may be submitted at any time but they should be submitted well in advance of the conference. Generally, requests should be submitted 90 days ahead.
To ensure that you allow adequate time, contact Faye Bell-Boulware to obtain current information on timelines. Faye can be reached by email at: FayeB@md-council.org or by calling 410-767- 6249 or 1-800- 305-6441, ext. 1
Funding requests must contain:
1) A letter explaining the request for funds including:
• Contact information: name, address, phone number and email.
• Information about the conference, including: the dates, location, sponsor(s), and title.
• An explanation of why you want to attend this conference.
• A description of how you will share what you learn to benefit others in Maryland. Be specific, including who will be reached and how you will inform them.
2) A copy of, or website link to, conference materials with information about: the sponsor, location, registration costs, and the agenda and breakout sessions.
3) A proposed budget, using the Council’s Conference Participation budget form.
Where should requests be sent?
If it is not possible for you to send an electronic copy; send one hard copy to:
Maryland Developmental Disabilities Council
217 E. Redwood Street, Suite 1300
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
PLEASE NOTE: All applicants will be notified by email when the electronic version of their funding request is received by the Council. If you have not received confirmation within five (5) working days, it is your responsibility to contact Faye Bell-Boulware at the phone numbers listed above to ensure that your funding request was received.
How will you be notified about the Council’s decision?
Applicants will be notified in writing within two weeks of final funding decisions. Decisions are made by the Council’s Executive Committee and are final.
Please Note: If your request is funded, the Council will require a brief report that includes a description of how you shared what you earned to benefit others in Maryland. The Council will reimburse approved expenses when the report and receipts are submitted.
Adopted: November 16, 2006
Last Revised: September 2016